BIRMINGHAM, AL (July 10, 2020) – Birmingham Legion FC’s now nine-month wait to kickoff the 2020 USL Championship season is, finally, about to come to an end, as the club is set to face regional rival Memphis 901 FC at home next Wednesday night, July 15, on ESPN2.
All Legion FC season ticket holders will have access to home matches at BBVA Field this season, and a small number of single game tickets will be available for each contest. Months of preparation have gone into the stadium’s reopening in order to adhere to federal, state and local safety guidelines. Fans will need to wear a mask and seating will be socially distant. Please find all Health and Safety Protocols HERE.
“The health and safety of our fans is our top priority as we return to play this season,” said Legion FC President and General Manager Jay Heaps. “Taking all necessary precautions in order to mitigate as much risk as possible to play at BBVA Field in our local community, in front of our fans, was vital, and we look forward to safely playing again for Birmingham.”
“Everything started at the federal level and the CDC, who provided some great resources in order to allow facility operators to try and figure out how to do this, what worked and what didn’t work as far as hand sanitizers vs surface sanitizers, things like that,” said Legion FC VP of Stadium Operations Jason Coleman. “From there it was working with the state health officer to comply with the state orders, and to the county health officer to maintain what they felt was the safest possible environment.
“We then worked a lot with the city, who also wanted to make sure that we were doing things like complying with the mask ordinance that the city of Birmingham has been out in front of. Everyone along the way has been very supportive of the club and the desire to allow us to get to return to play, as long as we were willing to do the things necessary to maintain a safer stadium and keep our fans as safe as we could.
“The important part now is the buy in from the fans. Fans need to realize we’re doing everything we can to help stop the spread in the stadium. We need them to be responsible and mindful of social distancing and to wear masks, so that we can continue to have fans in attendance and to keep our players and fans safe while giving everyone a chance to enjoy the game.”
Health and Safety Protocols:
- Stadium capacity will be limited but able to accommodate all Legion FC season ticket holders.
- Legion FC has developed a socially distant seating plan for the 2020 season that provides for a minimum of six feet of distance between groups of fans attending matches together (i.e. families), including areas previously designated as General Admission.
- Sanitizer stations will be positioned throughout the stadium to provide CDC-approved alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Prior to, and during the match, restrooms and other high traffic areas and fan contact areas like concessions counters and grandstand railings will be regularly sprayed and wiped with CDC-approved alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Fans will be required to wear face masks upon entering the stadium, and Legion FC branded face masks are available HERE. Fans will be instructed to wear masks at all times when not seated in their assigned seat.
- All staff will be required to wear masks, adhere to social distancing, and must pass a temperature check and health screening before entering the stadium on matchday.
- BBVA Field will be a “cashless” environment for the 2020 season.
A select number of single game tickets for the match have been made available. Get yours today! If you have any questions regarding our return to play, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Hammer Down!